Monday, June 15, 2009

Confetti: The Least Appropriate Wedding Songs Ever

NPR recently asked its listeners to send in stories about inappropriate wedding songs. People have some funny stories! Here are a few gems...


Send in the Clowns (Judy Collins)
At my first wedding in Tahoe, we quickly found a minister to perform the ceremony without discussing the details. Everything seemed fine as I walked up to the preacher, except that the bridesmaid was doubled-over in laughter. I was only vaguely listening to the lyrics... --Darol Allen In 1978, my sister walked down the aisle to "Send in the Clowns." My mother picked it out, and to this day defends her choice. --Carrie Yankello Wow! Someone else chose "Send in the Clowns"? That was the best laugh my date and I ever had at a wedding. --Teresa Labella


You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin' (The Righteous Brothers)
My husband has been a wedding DJ for over 20 years. He has lots of stories about weird wedding song choices, but my favorite is the couple that requested "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' " for their first dance. Stunningly oblivious to the lyrics, or even just the title, they explained: "But we love Top Gun!" --Dana Robb


Just A Gigilo/I Ain't Got Nobody (Louis Prima)
During the '80s, one of my cousins got married for the second time. Since her first was an elopement, she did a nice job with a church, harp and flute with organ for the music. It was all quite dignified; her father performed the ceremony. The reception was on the ocean, also very nice. When the master of ceremonies introduced the couple for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. XXX, the wedding band played "Just a Gigolo." Everyone under the age of 30 erupted into hysterical laughter. --Elisabeth Powers

Source and full story: NPR


Do you have any funny music stories to share from weddings you have attended?

No comments:

Post a Comment